Sunday, October 21, 2012

Apples Every Day

It's apple season and a great time to follow that old time advice, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.  So taking that advice to heart I made two apple recipes that I think are keepers. See what you think.  ( I really call this three recipes because the salad dressing is prepared separate from the salad but that's just me).

I also had a great walk through the back 40, up hills, through woods,across creeks. It was a beautiful day to be hiking the property, though every where was strangely quiet - no deer, no turkeys, no hawks screaming.  I snapped this picture of CEH In Focus (Bobby). He's coming into his own after a summer on pasture breeding cows. With his sweet disposition and projected calving ease family history he should be a super herd bull.


CEH In Focus, I call him Bobby. Isn't he gorgeous! Alas, he is for sale.
 
Apple & Cabbage Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette
 
I'm still getting some good leaf lettuce from the garden but this time of year I like to add some raw, green organic cabbage (from the grocery since mine was eaten by the deer).  Rough chop about a cup of cabbage to toss with a cup or more of salad greens. Then dice a rib of celery, a Gala apple, a tablespoon of raisins or cranraisins or dried cherries (or a little of all three), a tablespoon of chopped walnuts or pecans and a good pinch of shaved Parmesan cheese ( a good salty one). 
 
For the dressing, in a glass jar with a  tight fitting lid, put 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (not flavored, use the real thing), a tablespoon of sweet apple cider, a tablespoon of maple syrup (use the real thing or substitute honey), a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper and a pinch of dry mustard (I like Coleman's).  Put the lid on the jar and shake well.  Then add four tablespoons of canola oil, put the lid back on and shake very well until the dressing is emulsified.  Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Enjoy.  This salad always makes me feel so healthy and it tastes great too!
 
 
Roast Chicken Sandwich with Apple 
 
On the bread of your choice, a little mayo, some lettuce, sliced roast chicken breast, sliced apple with peel left on (I like Gala but any good eating apple works well). A little salt and pepper.   Top with another slice of bread and enjoy.  You can also add a slice of Swiss or Cheddar cheese and grill the whole thing. Very good.  I was happy with just the chicken and the apple on a good country white bread - mayo and lettuce, salt and pepper. Yum. 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment