Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Beehive For Sale

Once upon a time I bought my ex husband a complete bee hive, smoker, pith hat and hive tool. It was his dream to have a small hobby farm and raise cattle, chickens and bees.  Alas, as often happens, he didn't know what he wanted and found out pretty quickly that he's a condo kind of guy. So he's not here anymore. Ha!

So, for 8 years the hive has sat in the basement waiting for someone to buy it some bees. My house sits in a locust grove. Bees love locust blooms and I am told it makes one of the best honeys.  I've been talking to a friend of mine, a naturalist who keeps bees, and she is encouraging me to buy some bees and get started. Now is the time, she says. Don't wait!

My brother says "Sell that hive!, you don't need to be messing with bees!" and he is probably right. I certainly have plenty on my plate with the cattle and my day job and my part-time job etc. So, here's a picture of the hive, still in the basement, with the smoker, hat and hive tool. I have it on Craigs list for $200 complete, and I am firm on that price. All together I paid about $350 for everything and its all brand new.

I've sold several things off Criag's list - farm equipment such a rear bale spear, hay wagon, road grader blade etc. For some reason people seems to think I should give away the hive. I've had offers of $75 to $100. I even had someone offer to barter tree services.  The hive has future economic value if I raise some honey with it, so I am standing firm on that price.  I will be ordering the bees in a week or so, so Craig's list people had better step up or loose out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment