Saturday, December 1, 2012

Doe with Hurt Leg Surving So Far

Night camera shots of deer in the woods.

 
I'm not seeing many deer lately.  I know they are out there but unlike the shot above, taken last winter, the deer cams aren't picking up much activity. With the drought and the scarcity of pasture grasses,  I'm wondering if they are spending their time near harvested fields, picking up dropped corn and soy beans.

About 10 days ago I noticed a small doe running sort of crookedly around the perimeter of the calves pasture. She seemed to be having a hard time jumping the fence into the woods.  The next day I saw her going through the barbed wire fence in the back yard headed for the pond. It was obvious her right front leg was damaged.  Yesterday I saw her coming from the pond.  At first I thought she was a very large coyote from the kind of loopy gait she displayed, but when she came up the hill behind the house it was clear she was the injured doe.

I'm encouraged to think she's made it this long. I'd hate to see the coyotes get her. Much better to get my brother or a friend of mine to try to take her down quickly and cleanly.  Then again, maybe she will survive.  She uses the barbwire fence to move around since she can't jump well, and she seems to be staying near the cattle, so I imagine she eats off the round bales at night. Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment