Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Buttermilk Egg Bread

I took the Lemon Rosemary cookies to the family dessert get together last night and they were a hit! I served them with strawberries and blackberries (Kroger again) over a little lemon/strawberry ice cream (a new flavor from Kroger and half the cost of Hagaan Das lemon ice cream). I used ice cream, not sherbet.  Yummy.

The museum where I work is closed on Mondays, so I am at home most Mondays.  I spend the morning finishing the articles I write for the local newspaper. But first I put together a bread recipe for my bread machine, then start of load of laundry. Nothing is more pleasant than hearing the washing machine and dryer chugging along in the basement and the bread machine rattling through a ball of dough.  Domestic bliss! 

I've tried a variety of bread machine recipes lately and my favorite, until yesterday, was the Buttermilk Rye.  But yesterday I was in the mood for white bread and had buttermilk on hand, so leafing through my bread machine recipe guide I decided to take its Egg Bread recipe and substitute some of the milk in that recipe for buttermilk.  It worked really well! I took half the loaf to my parents for their supper and they raved about it. So, here is the recipe.

Buttermilk Egg Bread for Bread Machine

Put all ingredients in the 1 1/2 pound loaf bread machine pan. Make sure they are all at room temperature. This is very important. Cold of any kind will retard the yeast.

3/4 cup buttermilk

2 tablespoons milk

1 egg

1 1/2 tablespoons soft butter

3 cups bread flour (I only had 1 cup bread flour left, so used two cups all purpose with that one and it worked fine.

2 tablespoons granulated sugar

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1 1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast - I just had the regular kind, not the self rising, and it raised nicely.

Set your bread machine for the sweet setting.  It will take about 3 hours and 40 minutes. The loaf will be soft and buttery tasting. Very good.


No comments:

Post a Comment