Saturday, May 26, 2012

New Nest for Mom and Baby

Tonight when I went to close up the chicken house and check on the baby chick, mama hen left the stinking nest and moved to the box next door.  I noticed only three eggs left in the nest and an empty shell, so I have a suspicion that mama hatched a chick and ate it!  I hate to say that's what definitely happened but the shell was empty and I didn't see a chick anywhere.

I put the little chick that was still in the nest in with the hen and refilled its little water dish. Then I took the remaining eggs out of the stinky nest and threw one on the ground. It bounced, so I am thinking there is a viable chick in there.  I put the three remaining eggs under the Buff Orpington hen that sits and sits but never has any eggs under her. We will see if she can hatch them.

This isn't the Buff Orpington that is sitting on nothing - but one of her sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment