Saturday, April 23, 2011

Gardening in the Rain

We just came off a very hard winter here in southern Ohio and now we get one of the wettest April's on record. This weekend the weather folks are predicting that we will break the old record of nine inches of rain for this month. My garden has definitely suffered from all the bad weather.

I spent an hour this morning weeding, mostly in the asparagus bed. I usually am over flowing with asparagus spears by now but so far this year I've picked a grand total of ten. I roasted them in the oven with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and good shaved Parmesan cheese. Just eight minutes, ten at the most at 400 degrees.  Wonderful! 

This is the first year ever that I've had Forget Me Nots in my flower beds. I planted them last year along with some Columbine and Astilbe in a bed on the east side of the house. I put out three plants and was sure they had perished in last falls drought, but happily they returned this spring and had spread around the bed. They are the most vivid blue. Really beautiful. I'm including some pictures, but blue doesn't photograph true in flowers, so you will have to try to imagine the intense blue color.

I have two good sized flats of plants I started from seed. This year I did away with the grow lights and just set the flats in south facing windows in an unused bedroom. They did pretty well. The ground is too wet and cold to work but I am hopeful with the warmer temperatures expected this week that next weekend I can set them out - with the exception of the tomatoes, melons and peppers.  I'll be putting out broccoli plants and some herbs including borage, flat leaf parsley, chamomilee and rosemary.  For some reason I can't get any of the lettuce seeds to germinate in the flats so I'm hoping to direct seed those in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment