Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Garden on Hold/ Vet Castrating Bulls

So, now its official. April 2011 has had the most rain in one month for this part of the world - ever - or as least for as long as the rainfall has been recorded. The record to beat was 11 inches in January of 1937. Can you imagine 11inches of rain in January in Ohio!  We have had more than 11 inches this month. I think our average is only 44 inches for the entire year!

My seedlings are still in their flats. The ground is just too wet to turn the soil. All those broccoli plants should have been out the first of April - but we had too much rain in March and the ground was too wet then.

Tomorrow the Vet comes to castrate the bulls who will become freezer beef candidates. He will also vaccinate everybody and get the bulls who will remain as bulls, ready to go off and join herds on other farms. BTAP Wizard, my favorite bull this year, has been sold to one of my good customers in Indiana. If the weather holds he'll be traveling there this weekend.

BTAP Rufus, another good yearling bull, will stay behind to breed some heifers and then hopefully find a new home later this year.  

The other two may just go on to Maysville to be sold. I could keep them on pasture as grass fed beef, but so far I've had no takers for the grass fed beef I've advertised for the May slaughter. I thought grass fed was the hot thing, but apparently not in southern Ohio!  So, that means they will go on grass plus grain and that's very expensive right now. $6 dollar corn a year ago is now $12 corn so the price per pound must go up. Not sure what the market will bare. May be best to cut my looses and ship them to the sale barn.  I hate doing that. They will end up out west somewhere in a feed lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment