Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Chickens, Tractors and Sunshine

What a beautiful morning we have today!  I could have spent the whole morning outside roaming the property and tending to my animals. It's chilly but not too chilly. The mud is drying out and easy to walk on and the animals are happy. The only little glitch this morning was that the tractor tire was going flat.
Tractor with tire pump attached.
Three years ago that tire went flat.  I contacted my John Deere dealer who advised me that the only place for tractor tires around here is in Milford - we are just too urban for anyone to carry them in this area.

So, the guys from Milford came up to the farm and looked at the tire. I expected them to replace it - its a $500 tire - but no, they proclaimed it to have a slow leak and I should just pump it up now and then! So that was three years ago and at least once a week I get out this little battery operated tire pump and pump up the tire. That's farmer fugality for you.

Son of Booster
Here's a picture of one of the little chicks that hatched the first day of August this past summer. It's a rooster and I am pretty sure he is the son of Booster, the Blue Laced Red Wyandot rooster who died this fall.  The mother hen was a White Rock, so Booster, Jr. is a cross bred.  The other chick is a hen. Her colors are white with black on the wings. I think she is a daughter of Big Chicky (pictured below) and the White Rock hen. It's hard to say as any hen's eggs could have been in the nest and the hen who hatched them wouldn't know, or care.

I snapped this picture of Big Chicky this morning as he stood on a log outside the chicken house crowing to greet the morning sun.



No comments:

Post a Comment