Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cows in Winter


Checking on the cow over on the right. She's due to calve this month.
A friend of mine shot this picture of me last weekend. I was checking the cow over to the right. The cow is Violet and she is due to calve this month. Last year she had twins, both of which died within the first three days after their birth. Once a cow has twins, she is likely to have them again, so I am keeping a close watch on my sweet Violet. No calf yet.

Here I am in front of the round bale feeder.  I call this my Michelin Tire Man picture as I am wearing and old Carhart jacket from my ex husband and about three layers of sweat paints. It's not glamorous but I am toasty warm. As you can see the ground is really nothing but mud. Last weekend the temperature dipped low enough to freeze the ground. As of tomorrow when its suppose to hit 50 degrees I won't be able to stand in this spot and wave to anyone - I'll be fighting the Muckmaster 5000 as I call it - mud up to my ankles.  It's one of the hazards of feeding a herd of large heavy animals. They really churn the ground into mud.  On the up side, the Muckmaster 5000 takes about an inch off my hips each winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment