Monday, February 20, 2012

Spiced Bacon and More

I'm having a quiet Monday morning day off.  The mud is frozen outside so I got my animal feeding chores completed in record time. The sun is shining and I feel energized - and hungry for my favorite breakfast.   One of the great advantages of raising my own pastured chicken eggs is that I can poach eggs in my sleep!  Fresh  eggs haven't had a chance to breathe and dry out.  The whites are still totally intact and hold together perfectly.  I heat water to a simmer in a deep sided skillet with a lid. Then I crack an egg into a little cup and gently pour it into the simmering water. The egg immediately pulls itself together. I cover the pan and let it go for about three minutes. Then I uncover the egg, flip it over in the water with a slotted spoon and let it go one more minute.  I drain the egg on a paper towel and flip it onto buttered toast - buttered homemade buttermilk rye toast!
Brown sugar and chili spiced bacon

That's all good just on its own, but then I add brown sugar chili spiced bacon and now its perfect.   My local Kroger store sent me a coupon for free bacon.  I love Kroger. How could I not love a store that gives me free bacon!  Anyway,  I always cook my bacon in the oven on a rack so it drains away the fat. Most of the time I just put a couple of strips of bacon on a small broiler pan fitted with a slotted insert so the fat will drain, roast it in an oven preheated to 450 to 475 degrees and 12 to 15 minutes later (depending on the bacon) I have delicious fully cooked bacon.  But, if I really want to treat myself, I add brown sugar and chili spice.  First I roast the bacon on the grill pan for eight or nine minutes. Then I take it out of the oven, flip the bacon over and then sprinkle it lightly with brown sugar and chili powder.  I just put a little bit - like a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and a light sprinkle of chili powder per bacon slice.  Then put it back in the oven for another five minutes. Watch carefully that you don't burn the sugar, it may take less than five minutes depending on how hot your oven runs.  It's absolutely wonderful!
Bacon flipped and ready to add brown sugar and chili powder


About half a teaspoon of brown sugar per slice.

Sprinkle a little chili powder and pop in the oven for just about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment