Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Plant Trees in November

A sweet gum and a Washington hawthorn still in their 2010 nursery bed. I'll be transplanting them into the landscape in November. The nursery bed will then receive a new shipments of oak seedlings.
 
How can your turn $10.00 into a $1000 in just three short years?  Join the Arbor Day Foundation.
 
Flowering crab, red bud, sycamore and Washington hawthorn  still in their 2010 nursery bed. I'll be transplanting them into the landscape in November..

Joining the Arbor Day Foundation for just $10 (six months membership) or $15 for the whole year means you get to choose a package of 10 free tree or flowering shrub seedlings.  Plant the seedlings in a nursery bed and within a year  you have nice young trees to transplant into your landscape. Within three years from your first planting your trees will start to increase in value and add beauty your property.
 
You can choose from a variety of packages. Some years I just get a mixed package - like those pictured above.  This year I've opted for a package of oak trees, at least four different varieties. 
 
The oaks seedlings - and I do mean seedlings - will arrive after November 1, so I have time to prepare a nursery bed for them.  They will arrive looking like a collection of dead twigs, most not more than 12 or 18 inches tall.   Plant them carefully and water them at least once a week until the ground freezes, usually in late December or early January here in southern Ohio. Then mulch with straw or other mulch and wait for spring. 
 
You can transplant them next November but I didn't get around to it last year so the trees pictures are two years old.  I'll transplant all but the red buds. They only like to move in the spring. 
 
The Sweet Gums will give me great fall color when they mature a little.  The crab and Washington hawthorn bloom in the spring and provide fruit for wild birds.  All these little trees will add tremendous value to my property and were worth way more than the $10 I spent to join the Arbor Day Foundation.
 
 
Visit the Arbor Day Foundation at www.arborday.org and join today!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment