Monday, December 16, 2013

Fruitcake is in the Oven!

After a month of candying pineapple, cherries, lemon peel and orange peel, the Christmas fruitcake is finally in the oven. It's only two weeks late!  I can't wait to try it!  This year I candied everything but the citron - that came from the Kroger.
It takes the big bread bowl in the foreground to mix the batter into all the fruit and nuts!
This year's cake will have an extra hint of orange.  When  candying the orange peel you toss it in sugar as it comes out of the hot syrup.  The sugar gets a lowly orange flavor, so I saved it to use in the cake batter.  I tasted some batter and its was nicely flavored with a little extra orange.  I think it will be wonderful!  Orange is a nice complement to the Sherry in the cake - and the Sherry I will doused the cake with when its out of the oven and cool.  
In the baking oven with the heat shield at the top to keep the temperature about 275 degrees. The cake will bake for close to four hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment