Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Almost All Cats Neutered

Yesterday I finally took the 2010 kittens (now grown cats) to be neutered. I had purchased a spay/neuter voucher from the Warren County Humane Association to have the mother cat spay but she died before I could catch her. She was just a feral cat that showed up and left me kittens this spring. The voucher was going to expire in February so it was time to put it to use. Since I am off work this week it seemed a perfect time to use it and I had two tom cats that were fighting each other all the time. Yesterday I gathered up Tigger and Pipster and took them to my small animal vet to be neutered. I picked them up this morning. They are a little miffed with me and still a little quiet. I'll keep them in the house at least through today.

That means I have just one little guy from the spring 2011 litter to have neutered and then everyone is done!  That's eight cats, seven of which are male, all neutered.

Neutering male cats is a pretty simple procedure. I board cattle for a vet and he neutered three of the kittens on my kitchen counter in October. I just couldn't catch the fourth. He gave them each a shot of something to put them out, then it was a quick slice, twist, snip and tie off. The boys woke up later that evening, played just like always and seemed to have no idea anything had changed. I admit Pipster and Tigger are not quite so carefree about their operations, but I am sure they will be fine by this evening. I forgot to ask the vet how long it would take for the testosterone to disappear from their systems. I expect about a month. Here's a picture of the two "tuxedo boys" from this year, Zeke on the left, and Little Joe.


No comments:

Post a Comment