Friday, December 23, 2011

Meat For Sale

My steer went to slaughter yesterday.  He was such a big pet it was hard to send him off, but then I remembered how he "bullied" the cows away from the feed racks and was just generally making a nuisance of himself, so it was time.  The carcass will be hanging at the butcher for a good two weeks and then the meat will be cut, wrapped and frozen solid. I''ll pick it up and distribute it to my customers in early January. 

My steer's hanging weight is 818 pounds. That's a little higher than my 750 average, but not the biggest I've ever sold. He is the first grass fed steer I've sold so I am anxious to see if the meat is really lean. It should be very lean.

I was checking out some other beef farm websites to see what they are offering for split sides - what cuts, how many pounds, the price etc.  I'm a little low on price and a lot higher on pounds! These folks must be selling little Jersey dairy steers!  Most said a split side should hang at 150 pounds and yield 100 pounds cut and wrapped meat. My steer hangs at 202 pounds for a split side and will probably yield between 150 and 175 pounds of meat. I'm selling a split side for $3.00 a pound cut and wrapped. I have one split side left. If you are interested let me know. At this time I plan to deliver meat on January 9th. Most others are selling their meat from $5.50 to $7 a pound cut and wrapped. I think my price is fair and what my market will bear.

I found this list of cuts available from a 100 pound slit side. It gives you an idea of how many kinds of beef meals you'd likely get from a split side.  This list just makes my mouth water thinking about all those good beef meals I'll be preparing!  This list doesn't include things like liver, heart, tongue and kidneys. I feed the liver to the cats and have a neighbor who will take the heart and kidneys. Not sure about the tongue. This list doesn't have a brisket or flank steak. I'll make sure I get those cuts. I'll also include some suet for the birds.

1 or 2 @ 3 Lb. Chuck Roast
2 Chuck Steaks
1 or 2 @ 3 Lb. Arm Roasts
2 or 3 Lbs. of Stew Beef
2 Pkgs. Short Ribs at approximately 2.5 Lbs. per Pkg.
2 Neck Soup Bones
2 Shank Soup Bones
About 7 Lbs. of Rib Steaks or Rib Roasts
Approximately ten steaks total divided amongst the Sirloin, T-Bone, & Porterhouse @ 3/4” thick.
5 Lbs. of Top Round that can be cut as Roasts, Steaks, or London Broil
1 or 2 @ 3 Lb Rolled Rump Roasts
1 @ 3 Lb. Sirloin Tip Roast
8 Cube Steaks
Approximately 40 Lbs. of Ground Beef

No comments:

Post a Comment