Monday, December 19, 2011

Sunday on the Farm

Most weekends Sunday is the only day I have totally to myself to work on the farm.  Some Sunday's I'm busier than others and yesterday was one of those.  It started with delivering round bales of hay to the herd and the Angus boarders. That was a fairly easy task as it mostly involves sitting on a tractor and managing the round bale spear on the front end loader.

I sold BTAP Lulu,  one of the bred heifers, and her new owner came to pick her up last Sunday. She did not want to go and broke away from us, breaking down a gate and joining her mother and sister and little brother. Since she's a good six months pregnant, we let her go and I promised to have my hauler deliver her this Sunday.  

Limousin cattle can jump fences like deer. It always amazes me to see them go over a gate with no running start, so I knew I needed to reconfigure the barn so that Lulu wouldn't find a way to escape. It took a good two hours but in the end she walked on to the trailer with no mishaps. She wasn't happy about it when she realized what she'd done but by then it was too late.

I rode with Mr. Burns who hauls for me to deliver Lulu. I like to see where my animals will be living. I can report that Lulu has a beautiful new home near Milford in the care of a good man.  The operation is a cow/calf farm dedicated to producing healthy, all  natual beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment