Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Emerald Ash Borer

My pastures are surrounded by woods.  Oak, a few maple, locust, wild cherry, wild plum and lots of green ash trees fill all the old fence rows.  We even have a few persimmon trees. For the last several years the wild cherry trees have been dying.  No one seems to be too concerned about this, but me. Wilted wild cherry leaves produce prussic acid and if the cows eat the leaves it can kill them!
This old ash tree has been dying by bits and piece for the last ten years, but this year it is riddled with little holes. I've not seen any insects, but I have to believe this is borer damage.
This year I'm noticing the ash trees in the fence lines are dying. And this year I finally see evidence of emerald ash borer in trees near the house!  There are 18 ash trees in my yard along with a dozen or more locusts and a few oaks that we planted.  As I watch the borer slowly kill a huge old ash near the chicken house, I know that it is only a matter of time before they cross the fence into the yard. Therefore, I'm taking action!


Here's a close up of the tree with the holes and the torn bark. I don't think there is any doubt that this is the work of insects.


This is hopefully my weapon to save the ash trees in the yard. It's from Bayer (like the aspirin) and claims to kill insects such as Japanese beetles and emeral ash borer and feed the trees all at the same time. The treatment lasts a year. It's not cheap, this gallon container cost $69 at Lowes's (less discount for using my Lowes card), and I estimate I will need a total of six gallons for my 18 trees.  It's a poison green creamy liquid that you mix with water and pour around the base of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment