Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Meet Katty Kay

 Katty Kay eats all the time. She is very very fat.
Three years ago in the fall a tabby cat showed up in the hay barn sleeping on the seat of the tractor. That was not unusual. There were three other cats coming and going around the place that fall, but this one decided she wanted to be friends.  She was afraid at first, but decided after a week or so that I was OK, especially after it turned cold and we had an early snow.  She was a slim, normal sized cat when she showed up.  I think she must have been neutered, since she's been around here now for three years with plenty of intact male cats roaming the area and has never had kittens.

Once Katty Kay achieved the house, she refused to leave.  She spent the entire first winter hiding in the basement and coming out at night to clean up any and all cat food left out for Walter and Nico.  She tolerated Walter, who was already showing signs of the cancer that would kill him, but she down right hated Nico.  At least once a day she would attack Nick, for no reason as far as I could tell. She also wouldn't let me pet her.  Several times I captured her and put her out of the house proclaiming that she would no longer be allowed in with Nico.  She would sit on the front porch and cry for hours until finally I couldn't stand it any longer and would let her in.

When Nico was killed late this spring, Katty Kay became my friend. All of a sudden she wanted to be petted (though she still wouldn't sit on my lap) and follows me around the house rubbing on me. She also developed a huge crush on Matisse, the smallest of the four neutered male cats.  Matisse returns the interest and they spend hours of time wrapped in each others arms - but since they are both neutered, I'm assuming its more a mother and son kind of thing. She hugs him and licks him and rolls around on the floor with him and he loves it.

No comments:

Post a Comment