Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Wild Blackberries and ZZ Tom Update

BTAP ZZ Tom at 4 months
I snapped this picture of BTAP ZZ Tom about 8:30 last night, hence the glowing eyes. He's with his mother, BTAP Violet,  getting some salt and water before going out to graze in the moonlight. He's a super nice big bull calf, probably weighs 500 pounds already and will make a very good herd bull someday. His father was Logan's Tommy Boy.It's getting time to wean him.  He will spend the fall and winter with his half brother, BTAP Thor in the bull pen - or at least until Thor finds a new home.
Wild Blackberries.
The wild blackberry crop was very disappointing this year. The very hot, dry weather from early June until the end of July insured that most of the fruit that was produced was small, dry and seedy. No good at all. The exception is the patch at the end (or beginning) of my driveway.  The patch has been there for years and usually produces berries.  For the last two weeks I've been picking at least a cup of berries - and eating them as I pick - on my way to work each morning.  I have to stop and pick up the newspaper, and there is always a nice amount of berries ripened each day. They are starting to slow down now and I predict I'll have this week to continue my morning picking and then they will be gone. But its been great while it lasted!

No comments:

Post a Comment