Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Brown Sugar Chile Sauce

Brown Sugar Chile Sauce
We have a good smoked pork barbecue place just a block away from work called Porky Capones. They have a great big wood fired smoker behind the restaurant where they smoke the pork and beef brisket and the place smells just wonderful! Since I had about a cup of the Brown Sugar Chile Sauce left over from canning the four pints, I decided to take that to work, get Porky Capone's pulled pork for lunch and do a taste test.

It was super!  The vinegar base is great with the smokey rich pork and the extra sweet from the brown sugar was good as well.  The only thing I missed was some spice - this sauce is not spicy.  The little bit of red pepper flakes in the recipe adds to the flavor with out producing any real heat.  Today, I'm taking a jar of Aunt Ruby's Chile Sauce to work. It's is definately spicy.   It's pulled pork for lunch again! Can't wait.

On another note, I went back to Lowes and purchased some more broccoli plants and some Flat Dutch cabbage plants. I popped them in the ground last night and watered well. Then we had a little bit of rain over night, so I'm hoping they get a good start.  The weather is perfect for cole crops right now, but I understand its going to get hot again soon.  Will just have to wait and see how it goes. Hopefully I'll have broccoli and cabbage by Thanksgiving or a little before.

Late Flat Dutch-Premium Heirloom Cabbage Plant
A picture of a full grown Flat Dutch Cabbage. I am hoping the fall season,will mean the cabbage worms will not be active.

No comments:

Post a Comment