Monday, August 20, 2012

Another Version of Aunt Ruby's Chile Sauce

So I started thinking about the recipe for Aunt Ruby's Chile Sauce and wondering what it would taste like with dark brown sugar instead of white and with apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar, and since I had way more tomatoes than I wanted for tomato butter, I cooked up a batch!

I only made 4 pints again. I also put in less vinegar (3 cups) and less sugar (3/4 pound) and less onion (2 large yellow onions). I left things in pretty big chunks and when it had cooked down and started getting thicker I took my immersion blender to it and made it more sauce like.  Then I put it in a slow oven, with the lid on, at 200 degrees over night. I like it a lot.

I also used only one teaspoon of red pepper flakes.

The end product will be very good on pulled pork or other smokey meats. Sort of a low country barbecue sauce with the vinegar base.  Its not as thick as commercial chili sauce but I love the flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment