Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Baby Chicks on the Move

I moved the chicks in their brooder out into the main part of the basement last night.  I'd put them in the furnace room first for two reasons. One, I wanted to lock them away from the cats and two, none of the wall plugs in the basement worked.  Larry from Current Solutions came yesterday afternoon and replaced the GFI for the wall plugs and now everything is working again, so I moved the chicks into the basement. 

Bee Hive Painted and ready for bees, I think.
Baby chicks give off a fine, greasy dust that would not be good for the furnace so I was glad to get them out of the furnace room. Their brooder box is sitting on a long wooden table. The cats don't know what to make of the chicks. The listen, they creep up on the box - which is a heavy wooden frame covered in small gage hardware cloth, and peer inside. What a great way to entertain the kitties!

The beehive, now freshly painted is sitting on the other end of the table. I've picked out a site for the hive near the garden and in a little grove of locust trees.  I am also collecting cement blocks to provide a platform for the box so it won't rest on the wet ground.  Somehow, I've not yet ordered the bees - that's this weekend for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment