Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Spring Chicks at Rural King

Our old vacant Wal Mart building south of town has finally found a tenant. Yesterday Rural King opened a brand new store and I couldn't wait to visit.  Rural King is like a Tractor Supply only bigger, I guess, because this is a really big store with all kinds of things for farm and garden.


Baby chicks on red heat lamp
On its first day the store was manned by a lot of young kids and a few adults all very helpful but not sure of all the details - which is OK on their first day. They will learn quickly or move on I hope.

Most of the front is clothes and snacks and junk like that. I moved quickly toward the garden section my mission to buy a bag of 12% sweet feed to have on hand when Bramble calves next month.  As I rounded the corner of the isle headed for the feed racks I ran smack dab into baby chicks for sale. 

Red New Hampshire and Black Jersey Giant
They were nicely displayed in six different pens with heat lamps and signs proclaiming their breed. Since this is their first day open I figured the chicks were in pretty good shape. They looked to be about five days old.

You could buy straight run (girls and boys mixed) or just pullets (girls). There was one pen of mixed Bantam chicks.  The pullets cost $1.99 each which is competitive with the catalogs.

They looked healthy so I went looking for a sales person and picked out three New Hampshire's and three black Jersey Giants. They are now at home in my chicken brooder in the furnace room with a red heat lamp on them which is why the pictures are red. The cats are shut out of the furnace room and they are totally bamfoozled! The chicks have made it through their first night so I am hoping to raise all six with no problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment