Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First Day of Spring, First Daffodils

It's now officially Spring and the sun is shining, although its only 29 degrees outside.  As I left the house on my way to the chicken house this morning, I noticed the daffodils next to the mud room's porch were just starting to open. This is a little sheltered area with east and south exposure and lots of warm brick to make a little micro-climate. As you can see from the picture they are just starting to open.

I have a good collection of daffodils all around the house.  For several years I bought  a half bushel at a time from White Flower Farm and that gave me a large variety of colors, sizes, petals and scents. Daffodil bulbs are somewhat poisonous to a lot of small rodents so they don't disappear as do tulips. They are also good at multiplying.

Usually by now the daffodils are in full bloom.  On my way back from the chicken house I walked all around the house to check for more blooms, but no more were even close to opening. Sunny cold weather is good for calving however, so I'll fore go the daffodils a little while longer.

Below, just for fun, from the Old Farmer's Almanac, www.almanac.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment