Saturday, March 9, 2013

Little Hen Back with Flock

When I arrived home late yesterday afternoon, Little Sister (my name for the little white hen) was scratching around the front yard busy as ever looking for anything that took her fancy.  She seemed perfectly healthy and I noticed she had been resting on the porch at some time during the day (read chicken poop on the porch).

It was a sunny afternoon for a change and I judged we had another hour and a half of daylight, so I let the rest of the flock out of the chicken house to see what would happen.

Little Sister slowly made her way toward the flock. The flock slowly made its way toward the house and they met at the round bale ring (the cows were down at the creek getting a drink).  Everyone seemed perfectly happy to see Little Sister and no one attacked her. 

I locked the chickens up at dusk.  Little Sister was roosting right long side her brother on the hay rack in the chicken coop and no one was complaining in the least.

This morning when I went to feed and water the flock, Little Sister greeted me with all the others.  Since its going to be a nice sunny day, and just to be safe, I left the chicken door open so that everyone could go out and play.

It's a mystery to me. I was sure Little Sister was a gonner on Wednesday morning. Her legs seemed paralysed and when I tucked her into that hay lined cardboard box in the hay barn she just lay their limp and uncaring.  I'm glad to have her back; just wish I knew what happened Tuesday night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment