Sunday, October 27, 2013

Wrought Iron Trivets

My AGA Cooker making breakfast. Sausage in the oven.


Distelfink
I've been cleaning out the basement and came across a box of wrought iron trivets my mother gave me when she and my Dad moved out of their old farm house 20 years ago.  I kept them on the kitchen counter for a few days trying to decide what to do with them. My counter tops are granite so iron trivets aren't necessary there.  I could use them on the kitchen table. Then it hit me, they would look pretty good on the wall behind the AGA - that major blank space that was supposed to be tiled and enhanced with a decorative hood - but never was.

I picked up the heart shaped one from Helen English at the Old Post Office Flea Market. It is stamped on the back "Distelfink T-47. It's very Pennsylvania German looking and the  Distelfink is a Pennsylvania German graphic.

 The other three my parents and grandparents had purchased on the travels in the 1950's and 1960's. 


The round one has a picture of Robert E. Lee on horseback embossed into it. It says" 10-18 Confederate States of America, "Deo Vindice".  The back says CSA Trivet,  Copyright 1962, VA Metalcrafters". There are some makers marks as well.

The one at the top is the heaviest and my favorite but it has no marks.

The one at the bottom has a broken curlicue and is signed on the back "JZH 1952".  There is also a number 17 and a number 23.  All of the information is stamped into each piece.

The Distelfink is the most useful because it is the largest.  They are all reproductions of trivets from the 18th and 19th century.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment