Thursday, September 17, 2015

Belle Has Hypothyrodism

I noticed Taco Belle, my little donkey, wasn't acting as perky as usual last spring.  She seemed downright lethargic.  A visit from the vet who drew a blood sample confirmed she was anemic. Further test pointed to hypothyroidism.  I purchased a jar of medicine from my vet - it is called Thyro-L and is a thyroid medicine for horses and other equines. It is a gray powder you sprinkle on grain or other food.
Taco Belle last spring. I call her the dog in a donkey suit. She wants to be petted all the time.

Belle is a small donkey. I don't imagine she weighs much more than 250 lbs.  I figured the most I should give her was about 1/4 of a teaspoon a day. Yesterday the vet came to visit for a follow up and Belle is still showing low thyroid levels. We've upped her dose to 1/2 a teaspoon which I blend with three peppermint pillows that I crush with a meat mallet each evening.  Belle loves peppermint candy and licks the bowl clean. Hopefully this larger dose will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment