Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Manure

Nothing beats well composted cow manure ( unless its well composted chicken manure) for keeping all your gardens growing beautifully. With 29 cows to feed everyday and 22 chickens, I have no end of manure!

Cows are basically ground feeders. Everyday I carefully place hay in  feed racks and watch as the cows blithely pull the hay from the racks, shake it to loosen it up and throw it on the ground. Most of it gets eaten, but about 20% of it ends up trampled into the muck. Muck by the way is that aromatic mixture of mud, hay and manure that Spring will soon turn in to a smelling yucky mess!

By mid summer all that muck will have turned into a wonderful, black, crumbly compost that makes everything in my garden grow like crazy. This year I am using some of last years compost to start my garden seeds.  I'm also using traditional peat pots and will keep you informed how things go. 

I've been saving feed sacks all year and sometime in late April or early May I'm inviting everyone from my garden club to come dig themselves a bag of the "black gold".  I'm hopeful of decreasing the piles with this method. Otherwise, I may have to rename the farm Mount Manure.

No comments:

Post a Comment