Monday, October 10, 2011

Fall Harvest and Pumpkin Time

I've been so busy with work these last two weeks that I haven't spent much time in the garden - which was ok since most of vegetables I planted the first of August for fall harvest were not quite ready. Yesterday, however, I finally had a day to myself and enjoying the sunshine found that lettuce, beets and French Filet green beans were ready to pick!

French Filet green beans are long, thin bush green beans picked young and tender. They are often added to Salad Nicoise or served with almonds or cold with a vinaigrette. My mother gave me the seeds as they are her favorite. I was able to pick a nice "mess" of beans for her and still have plenty for me.

One of the older gentlemen from work brought in a load of pumpkins and squash from his garden. I brought home a butternut squash and a spaghetti squash. I've never tried a spaghetti squash and am looking forward to cooking it.  I'd like to try making butternut squash ravioli but don't really want to make all that pasta, so I bought won ton wrappers instead. I'll let you know how that works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment