Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Looking for Chess Pie

The first Tuesday of the month is garden club meeting night.  Garden club is a little oasis of good time and fellowship in a hectic world. The members are all women, all ages with many different backgrounds and with a common love of gardening. There's always a short business meeting, then a program and lastly refreshments. If I'm dieting I always save up my sweets intake for garden club night as the ladies who act as hostesses always provide wonderful food.

Last night was no exception. One of the hostessesmade a special trip to Graeters to bring us a chess pie.  As she told the story she'd had to go to several of their store locations to get the pie as it sells out quickly on Monday mornings. If you don't know Graeters Ice Cream and Pastry stores you should give them a try. They are the best!

I'd never eaten chess pie before, although I've read about it in articles on historical food. It's a form of custard pie with a pastry crust.  I love egg custard, especially when I'm not feeling well and of course I love creme brulee for its rich flavor.  The chess pie was more delicate in flavor than either of those, sweet but not too sweet, rich but not too rich. I must find a recipe!  Will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment