Sunday, November 27, 2011

Catching Up

It's been a busy week and weekend and December will just get even more busy.  Christmas Festival and Horse Drawn Carriage Parade in town on Saturday and the museum is right in the middle of it all.

Thanksgiving was wonderful. The turkey was moist and delicious, thanks to my AGA,  and I felt like  the conductor of an orchestra with all the ovens going at the same time.  As always we enjoyed the camaraderie of family getting together and entertaining each other. We all love to talk.

The little heifer calf has made it through its first week of life with most days being gloom and rain. Mom keeps her in the barn a lot. I've decided to call her Cinnamon.

Ghost hunts at Glendower are over.  Booking January weekends for Harmon Hall. These are overnight stays - kind of like a ghost hunt slumber party for grown ups.  Very limited number of people but very intense hunting.

Today I baked a second fruit cake. I just had to sample one of the first ones - and of course - its gone already. The family was all anxious to get their fruitcakes - but I've kept them behind for a little more Sherry and cure time.  This new one is part store bought fruit, part home candied, so is more in the style of the cakes my Mom and sister and I used to bake Thanksgiving weekend in the old days. It's also baked in an angel food cake pan or tube pan which is also the way the original recipe tells you to bake it. It's much taller than the mini loaf pans so you get a deep, fruit studded slice when you cut into it. I'm going to cut this one into  fourths and give each household a section of it as well.  Should be interesting  taste testing the two different cakes.  I bet we all end up liking the new one just as well as the first one. After all, that's the cake we remember from growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment