Monday, November 28, 2011

Rainy Days and Mondays - its all the same.

Another rainy Monday.  We seem to be stuck on a weather pattern of rain on Mondays. It's so gloomy and dark. The chickens won't lay eggs hardly (just a couple a day) and the cows just want to hunker down and eat.

As I started to the mud room to suit up for my morning's outdoor chores, I found my sweet little timid kitty Nico (see his picture) peeing in my shoes - yes my shoes. He was very carefully squatting over one of them anyway. I yelled "No", grabbed him up and threw him out in the rain. Nico is very timid. He's a stray that was probably dumped as a kitten and maybe didn't get enough oxygen or something when he was born because he's not very bright. He's scared of all the other cats so I imagine he decided not to go to the basement litter box because my big yellow tom cat Tigger sleeps down there.

This past Saturday a friend with a Bobcat spent the afternoon (the only dry day of the weekend) cleaning out my round bale feeding pads. You can see in this picture behind the cows a big pile of dirt. As the cows pull the hay from the round bale they tend to drop some of it on the ground. Also, the outer layer of the bale is not very tasty so they leave that behind as well. This all mixes with manue and before you know it I'm kne deep in a mixture of hay and manure and mud.  Next spring that will be the most wonderful garden compost anyone could want. Actually, I have three piles like that because I have three round bale feeding stations. Be sure and let me know if you need any compost!

If you look closely at the picture of the house you see a ladder laying on the sidewalk and notice a shutter is missing. That shutter has been down for months. The ladder has been there about a month as well. Every time I have time to get out there and put the shutter back on the house, it rains!!! The Farmer's Almanac predicts a wet winter and so far they are spot on!

No comments:

Post a Comment