Thursday, November 3, 2011

No Beef Today

I have a steer named Butterscotch who was meant to be an ox. That is to say, I had planned to train him to be an ox that pulled a cart. He has a good nature and I thought that would be fun. Then my husband left me and life feel apart for a while and Butterscotch did not get his ox training.

It costs about $400 a year to keep a beef animal, so it just doesn't make sense to keep Butterscotch in the herd, munching grass and hay and grain and not producing anything (steers are neutered males). So, six months ago I made a date with the butcher for Butterscotch.  Last month I called and confirmed the date with the butcher and took orders for his meat.  My own freezer is basically empty of beef and I've been looking forward to filling it.

He was supposed to go to the butcher today. Monday I received a voice mail saying that the butcher would not be able to slaughter my steer after all and if I had questions to call. I've called everyday this week and left a message on their answering machine, but no one calls me back. I have a bad feeling that something bad has happened to the butcher. I hope not, but you never know. They all seemed fine last month when I called.

There are other good private butchers in the area, but they are all busy with all kinds of slaughters - especially deer. Butterscotch is leading a charmed life for sure. He's back on pasture now and there he will stay until I get another date for his demise - which needs to be soon - he's a big boy and eats lots.

No comments:

Post a Comment