Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Night Sky So Beautiful

I've really been enjoying the night sky this month. The moon and planets have put on quite a show in the Western sky. From my family room window, while I lie on the couch and watch television, I can see the moon and Venus and Jupiter.  It's just beautiful and one of the things I really appreciate about living in the country.

If I turn my view to the northwest, I see the lights of Lebanon, but if I stay focused west, the night sky is still dark and beautiful.  East is great as well, and there are plenty of stars and constellations to try to pick out of the sky, but the western sky has been the best.

The fall heifer calves that I'd put in the back paddock to wean are now out with their mothers again. One of them was a first time calf and that little cow wasn't going to put up with her calf not nursing her. After two days and nights of continuous hollering, she broke open the gate to the paddock and freed her calf. I happened to look out the bathroom window yesterday morning as I stepped out of the shower to see them racing down the hill to the "back 40" pastures.  Oh, well. I'll peel them off in the next pasture rotation and lock them in the barn this time. The calves were on pasture and grain and really didn't complain about the lack of cow's milk, but the cow's were bitter!  They will get over it!.

No comments:

Post a Comment