Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Asparagus

The asparagus has returned.  I picked a dozen spears about two weeks ago and then the nights turned cold and the asparagus decided to stay in bed a little longer. This evening, after several nice days with night temperatures in the low 40's the green spears have returned. 

The mild winter was good for grass and the asparagus bed is almost completely taken over with it, so I had mowed the bed very close after I picked last week.  That made it easy to find the spears this time as they stand half again as tall as the grass - this week. Next week will be a different story I'm sure as the grass will keep growing and I can't mow it again without sacrificing the asparagus. Mulch is on the way!

Here' my favorite way to cook asparagus. It's from Nicole at The One hair salon and its the best!



Lay the asparagus spears out in a single row and bath them in a little olive oil.
I like to put down some parchment paper. On the grill use foil or just lay them out carefully so they don't fall through the rack.
Roast in a 450 degree oven for five to seven minutes, or on a barbecue grill, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and grill another seven or eight minutes. I moved them a little closer together to help the cheese stay in place.




       


Ready to enjoy. I use the large flakesof cheese that I by in a box at the Kroger. It's their Private Selection brand. I use it on salads all the time.  Some of the flakes fall off the asparagus and on to the parchment paper. They cook into delicious little Parmesan chips!  So good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment