Monday, April 30, 2012

Still no bees

The locust trees in the yard are blooming and once again I didn't get my bee hive together.  If I'd stayed focused on this project, there would bees out there filling up on locust flower nector and making locust flower honey - which my naturalist friend and bee keeper Patty says is one of the best flowers for making honey.

Another name for locust tree is acacia tree so you sometimes see gourmet shops carrying acasia honey.
Also known as Black Locust, Acacia Blossom is a premium and distinctive honey with a high fructose and low acid content causing it to stay liquid longer than other honeys


locust flowers
I sold the last 25 pound box of beef last night.  I still have plenty of ground beef, chuck roasts and round steak, but all the NY strips, fillet and rib eye steaks are gone.  That's OK, though.  I really like pot roast made from the chuck and there's always plenty of ways to use ground beef. 

I've been using a calorie counter website to track my calories and nutrition each day trying to eat more healthy and loose a little weight.  The calorie counter really hates when I eat eggs and butter. Too much fat .But its perfectly happy when I eat lean beef.

The calorie counter gives you a grade at the end of the day after you've tracked all you've eaten and I try really hard to get an A. Most of the time I get an A minus,  once or twice I've gotten a B.  Only once did I get an A.

My biggest problem is potassium.  A woman my age should eat 4700 mg of potassium a day - all from food.  Give it a try sometime.  If you think that banana you eat everyday is getting the job done, check it out? Ha! not even close.  The best food I can find for potassium is Swiss chard - over 900 mg a cooked cup -which is a lot of Swiss chard!  Next is sweet potato for a little over 600 mg.  White potatoes are around 500 mg and three ounces of beef is about 290 mg, but try as I might I've never been able to stay in my calorie limit and still eat 4700 mg of potassium. Let me know if you have any other good food sources of potassium.

No comments:

Post a Comment