Monday, April 23, 2012

More about Pressed Chicken

Pressed chicken is a great way to use all the meat on a chicken and have a flavorful, cold chicken slice for sandwiches or whatever.
I noticed that no one seemed too interested in the pressed chicken recipe. So here's some pictures.
It's not the prettiest dish but so easy to make and it tastse good!  Some recipes have you add pickles, hard boiled eggs, etc, but I like to make the dish just chicken and add the extras on the side as I feel like it.
The key to good pressed chicken, in my opinion, is cooking it in a flavorful broth.  I stewed my roasting chicken with carrots, celery, fresh flat leaf parsley, chives and sage from my garden, and an onion. I also put in a few black pepper corns, an allspice berry and a clove, plus a teaspoon of salt.  You use the gelatin rich broth as the molding agent for the meat and it ads so much to the flavor.  This is always way more tasty than just sliced chicken for a sandwich. 

Again, not the prettiest presentation but it does make a nice cold lunch with bread and butter pickles on the side or as a sandwich.  The broth was so flavorful.  I roasted the last of the butternut squash and made butternut squash and apple soup with the broth. It was outstanding if you don't mind my saying.  The allspice berry and single clove along with all those vegetables makes a very flavorful broth.

No comments:

Post a Comment