Saturday, April 7, 2012

Repotting Tomato Seedlings

I haven't had a Saturday off in a month and since its frosty outside this morning I took the time to repot my tomato and other seedlings.  I started most of them the first of March and the process has been a bit haphazard.  I tried to keep them under lights in the basement, but my basement is too cold, so I've alternating between keeping them outside on the front stoop and indoors on my kitchen island.  They haven't done particularly well with this method but the roots are coming out of the bottom of their baby pots so its time repot. Hopefully they will be looking good by May 5 when my garden club has its annual plant sale. Some of these will go to that sale.
Ready to transplant. I have washed the plastic pots, recycled from some long ago plant purchase and lined them with unbleached coffee filters.  I use a plain old potting soil, nothing too fancy.

I planted the tomato seeds in little wrapped cubes. They were kind of expensive and I don't think I'd use them again, but they do keep the plants together in a little package that goes right into the transplant pots.

Seedling in its sprouting cube and ready to be covered in potting soil.

Gently pour potting soil around the seedling, filling the pot really full. The soil is dry and fluffy and will sink in the pot, plus tomatoes like to be planted deep. Water well, let set, water again until the soil is evenly moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment