Monday, April 9, 2012

Lemon Squares

It's my turn to make dessert for the Monday night family get together and I've had a hankering for lemon squares.   I looked through all my cookbooks and checked the Internet and finally, I think I have the perfect recipe.  This one is basically from the "Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook", 11th edition with a little addition or two.   I like this cookbook because the recipes are contemporary, homey, simple, and give you nutrition information (calories).  It's interesting to page through old cookbooks and compare their recipes to the newer ones. For example, I have an old Better Crocker cookbook with a lemon squares recipes that used way more butter and less lemon juice. 
All the recipes start with a shortbread like bottom crust. This one is 1/3 cup room temperature butter, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, and a cup of all purpose flour. I mixed the three ingredients all together in my mixer until it looked like crumbly meal, then patted it in to this 8 x 8 Pyrex baking dish.  I used the bottom of my one cup measure to do the patting. It works great. Bake this for 18 minutes at 350 degrees.
In the same mixing bowl (did not wash)  I put 2 whole eggs, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons all purpose flour, finely shredded peel of one lemon (wash the lemon first really well), 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, a pinch of salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Mix on medium speed for two minutes until well blended.
Remove the cookie crust from the oven and while still hot pour the egg mixture over the cookie crust. Bake in a 350 degree oven for another 20 to 22 minutes, remove and let cool on a wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar and cut into 20 bars, 1 inch by 2 inch rectangles.  Calories approximately 97.
Kroger has a sale on fresh blackberries and strawberries, so I will serve these lemon squares with a nice side of fresh fruit. A sunny, springtime dessert. Blue chicken approves.

No comments:

Post a Comment